Linear Inversion in MATLAB: Applications to Earth Sciences
Dott.ssa Valeria Paoletti
9 January - 11 January 2017
12 lecture hours – 3 CFU
The lessons will be held in G4 and G2, Largo S. Marcellino, 10
1) Monday 9 January, 10:30-12:30, room G4
2) Monday 9 January 13:30-15:30, room G4
3) Tuesday 10 January, 10:30-12:30, room G2
4) Tuesday 10 January, 13:30-15:30, room G2
5) Wednesday 11 January, 10:30-12:30, room G4
6) Wednesday 11 January, 13:30-15:30, room G4
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of MATLAB and Inversion Methods, personal laptop with MATLAB installed, Regularization Toolbox downloaded (see details below).
Short Program of the Course:
· Introduction: Inversion and Earth Sciences
· Linear Inversion in Discrete Systems: the Singular Value Decomposition
· The use of MATLAB for solving Linear Problems
· Synthetic and Real Data Applications in MATLAB: the role of Regularization in Potential Field Problems
Suggested introductory readings:
- Hansen P.C., 1999. Numerical Aspects of Deconvolution. Lecture Note, IMM. Technical University of Denmark, pp. 65.
- Menke W., 1989. Geophysical data analysis: discrete inverse theory. Academic Press, Inc., pp. 289.
- Regularization Tools, available at http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~pcha/Regutools/